Well. certainly with the hardware being essentially the same between
System i and System p (is that family name correct?), the OS is the
differentiator. Of course, we're the only ones that know that. Even
though the System i family can run multiple, different OSes, we
primarily run i5/OS. That's why we buy an i5. It doesn't make
financial sense to buy the hardware to run any other OS as a primary
OS. That being said, you can still only run i5/OS on one type of
hardware, so they're still linked. Naming by OS makes sense when you
can run the OS on different hardware. We can't do that with i5/OS.