Listers...

Since I sit on the CaN with Trevor (yikes!), I'll add my 2 cents as well. Common is so much more than the Focus and Spring Conference events and I guess that is why I don't get too wrapped up in all the dollars, cents and headcount issues. What Common (and iSociety for that matter) is about is providing a community infrastructure to encourage support and growth of System i professionals. That includes offering conferences, web casts, articles, and the like, but Common is also trying to build up the community as well. My particular part of that is to renew some interest in Common's support of LUGs, industry SIGs, the YIPs and ISV's. The Common CaN is a way to focus on the community aspects of being a System i professional. Other parts of Common focus on Education and Professional Development. So, when I see Common compared to other technical content providers, its and apples and oranges things. You can't really adequately compare a group that prepares and presents technical conferences for profit to a non-profit community oriented organization like Common.

Is the general "midrange" community smaller than it was 15 years ago? Yes. But in some respects a small community could be a more solid one. Would we all (System i users collectively) like to see a bigger community of users? Yes. But, most importantly, there are some very dedicated folks out there that want to see this community be as "healthy" as possible, regardless of size. It goes way beyond dollars.

Pete Helgren

Don wrote:
Al,

Uh, anyone they can slap a badge on is included in that "total" number...

COMMON used to post the weekly totals by demographic group for the 13 or so
weeks leading up to the conference. Several of us had some REALLY GOOD
models of predicting the totally PAID (aka REAL REGISTRATION) numbers at
about 5 weeks out...and you're right the numbers are slipping, so COMMON
moved to thinking in terms of Dollars...since there's more or less of a
linear relationship and I doubt the relationships in the product mix have
changed, you could perhaps retro a model with some degree of accuracy, but
nobody really cares anymore... It's sad that COMMON hides the real numbers
especially trends before conference as people used to use those numbers to
figure out how much stuff to bring for conference in terms of expo etc...

You're right on IBM dropping the ball...but then, you have to ask yourself,
when looking at the longer term trends and avoidances, was it intentional or
not...and if it's not intentional any more, is it too late to change.

Don in DC