Ok. As others have said, you do NOT need 5722-ST1 to do:
- query access from third party products to the iSeries like:
- - ODBC
- - Quantum
- - Crystal Reports
- - JDBC
- query third party databases FROM the iSeries like:
- - JDBC
- - IBM's costly product to do this
- - other third party products
- Use the freebie iSeries Navigator to run sql statements in a graphical
environment
- Use commands like CRTQMQRY, STRQMQRY, and a host of others like it
(except STRQM) that will allow you to wrap one off sql statements in a
source member. And has been used to create an interactive SQL statement
prompter.

Now, for imbedded SQL programming you can use CLI or Call Level Interface.
And the RPG Sorcerers Redbook has some samples.
Pros: No purchase of 5722-ST1 required.
Allows you to read result sets returned by a stored procedure.
Cons: If you are running an old unsupported version of the operating
system then the precompiler provided by 5722-ST1 had numerous anomalies
that have since been mostly ironed out. V5R3 saw much progress in
cleaning this up and it's been improving since. Thank God for the team
that Gina Whitney works on.
Another con of CLI is that I find it much more confusing than the simple
imbedded SQL provided by 5722-ST1. This should elicit screams and howls
from the camp that wants to write obfuscated code to secure their job
position. Who may argue that it is quite simple if you wrap everything in
a few calls, etc. Who may argue that everyone should learn this method in
order to use other databases. My boss also feels that programmers should
have all been taught assembler as a background for other languages (and
occasionally been known to bring home course materials on MI programming
from COMMON to give me just to rile me).
Maybe I shouldn't have sent that above paragraph. Please take it in
spirit of "it's Friday" and go enjoy a beer instead of stressing out.