Len Grieco wrote:

All,
I have been given the task of implementing the use of SQL. Forgive me if I do not fully state my question correctly, I'm am a rookie when it comes to systems administration. We have a 270 running v5r4. I was told that SQL comes with the system? Can some one point me to any documentation/manuals... that can help me find/use this. I used DSPSFWRSC and GO LICPGM opt 10, but could not find anything relating to SQL

Len:

"SQL" does indeed come with the system. And you do indeed also have to "buy" it.

That is, if you decided to, what you would "buy" is a license for the 'SQL Developer's Kit'.

Very first thing you should do is see if any of the non-standard SQL options already exist on your development system. Run the STRSQL command to see if interactive SQL is available for example.

If it runs, then at least the developer options are currently installed. You'd then need to verify whether or not the license is permanent or it's simply a temporary license running under the 'grace period'. Simplest check is probably to see if a license message was sent to the QSYSOPR message queue for product 5722ST1 (DB2 Query Manager and SQL Development Kit). You can also use the WRKLICINF command to review all licenses, but it's easier just to see if it works.

If it's installed and the license checks out, you're probably good to go as far as you need.

The most important area of the SQL Dev Kit is usually considered to be in the added capabilities given to developers through language compiler pre-processors -- for RPG, COBOL, etc.

The pre-processors let you use a simplified set of SQL statements in your program source code. Rather than coding to the SQL CLI APIs (or some other possibilities), you can place SQL statements directly into your program structure almost as if they were native RPG (or COBOL or...) statements. This can make the creation of full-blown SQL applications much easier /while continuing to use/ the languages your shop already is using.

In contrast, the SQL CLI APIs can be compared to the ODBC APIs since they're practically the same thing; SQL CLI under i5/OS looks very much like ODBC under Windows. Many who have done ODBC programming can adapt to SQL CLI and understand immediately most of what's going on.

Now, there are additional goodies that come with the SQL Dev Kit. How valuable they might be to you and how much you might like to make them available to your users (or restrict them from using them) can be an important part of the decision.

For example, the Dev Kit provides the STRSQL command that gives a useful interactive SQL facility. Many sites keep that far away from users; and many others can't live without it. However, the Kit also provides STRQM and all of the nice non-standard Query Manager interfaces. Query Manager queries can still be created and used without the Dev Kit, but there's no useful interface for users and it's often tricky for developers.

From the answers you've seen already, it can be not so straightforward in figuring out if "SQL comes with the system" or not. It does come with the system; it's just that some _very_ nice additional features can be added to the default stuff. Those added features cost some money.

If money must be spent, it's a management decision -- Spend $x for the Dev Kit, or spend $x+y dollars for developer time in creating your own 'dev kit' and maintaining it from now on or in coding more complex solutions. (...where "y" is some real number and might be negative, however unlikely.)

Tom Liotta