There are a few angle to this question.
- Changing the *PUBLIC authority to all the objets in the purge library
to *USE: no problem
- I am assuming that you will also remove any privite authority to the
files
- If any user has *ALLOBJ authority, they can update the files
- If a user is the owner of a file, he can change it
- If a user is a member of a group profile that has *ALLOBJ or that own
a file, he can change it
- If a program adopt authority and the program owner has *ALLOBJ, owns
the files or is a member of a group profiles that has *ALLOBJ or own the
files, he can change it
- Assuming that you took care of the points above, if in the F spec of
the RPG programs that try to access the files, update or add is
specified, the program will bomb when called.
- If the programs uses SQL to access the files, it will work OK until
you try to do an update. Then it will bomb.

We have put something similar in place here. To access historical data,
users must uses Inquiry program that do not open the files for updates.

It is not very hard, you just need the proper discipline when creating
files and user profiles.

<GKern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2007-09-18 15:19 >>>
Not sure if the title is 'correct' for this discussion but here is what
need to analyze:

We want to purge some rather large files by moving (identified) records

into an image of the files that will reside in a different (Purge)
library. The Purge library will contain only physical files and all
related LF's and SQL indexes.

Since users will need to be able to access the data in the Purge
library,
I need to ensure they cannot update it since it is now 'historical'.

I'd prefer that the users be able to use the same programs to access
the
production and purged data. An option from their initial menu will
allow
them to add/remove the Purge library to/from the top of their library
list.

The question is this: Is it practical/possible to just change the
object
authority of all of the objects in the Purge library to read only? Will

this prevent unwanted updates to the historical data - even though the

existing/unmodified programs (used for production data) may attempt to

maintain the data? Would SQL updates (with *commit = NO) be able to
update
the 'read only' data in the Purge library?

Any gotcha's? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern - MIS Project Leader
Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
IBM Certified RPG IV Developer
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
the
information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy this and all copies of this
message.