Thanks, Pete.

IBM has confirmed that the 570 would require an HMC, as you stated.

While the HMC may benefit a lot of customers, having another computer
system to maintain is my concern. The current thread titled "Critical
Console Data save" is an example.

Physical access to our systems is limited. While it sounds like the HMC
could provide some benefit in the area of remote administration, such as
remote control panel/SRC access, other things sound like a detriment,
such as your description of how to improve backup time by doing an
"upgrade". One does not have discussions like that regarding a 5250
device.

What's your two cents on remote administration of the HMC itself? After
it has been initially installed and configured, how often is it
necessary to physically access the HMC and for what sort of tasks? I can
install and manage PTFs on my i5 without touching it. Can I do the same
with the HMC?

We may hold off on the POWER6 until it trickles down to other models and
see what the options are at that time.

I know that all the twinax stuff will go away eventually, but by then I
hope that the replacement will have evolved into more of an "appliance".
It seems that it has come a long way since its introduction.

Thanks again for the helpful info.

-Marty

------------------------------

date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:45:46 -0400
from: "Pete Massiello" <pmassiello-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: POWER6 now or later?

Marty,

Every Power6 570 must have an HMC, even if you run this as a
single
image system. There are good reasons for this.

I would expect that the other power6 boxes would arrive in the
Spring of 2008.

Pete