Could they use a client that supports SSL, like iSeries Access, to
connect directly to the system you want to administer rather that using
telnet between two i5 boxes? i.e. what is the point of doing telnet
between two boxes rather than using a secure client to connect directly
to the machine you want?

-Marty

------------------------------

date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 15:23:25 -0700
from: Kirk Goins <kgoins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject:

Background: I have a very larger health care organization that its
network group has mandated no unsecured FTP or Telnet period, even
within its private network. My client currently uses telnet between the
i5s for among other things to manage his HA product. I guess a stop gap
measure would be to setup Anynet or Enterprise Extenders and do passthru

but that doesn't do what sis intended, which is to Encrypt data within
the network.

I know I can setup the FTP Server for SSL and I can get iSeries Access
or other clients to use SSL, but what about the i5 itself? I don't see a

Secure Connection parm on Telnet like I do on FTP. What are my options
to secure telnet between the i5's?

OH! and I have only 2 weeks to get this fully functional

Thanks