On 9/5/07, Urbanek, Marty <Marty_Urbanek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We are in the process of getting a System i to run V6R1 when it comes
out. Before talking with IBM, I am trying to do a little preliminary
investigation just to get an idea what is out there and what we might
want.

I would like it to be a POWER6 box if possible, to take advantage of the
new processor's capabilities. As I understand it, the 9406-570 is the
only System i POWER6 available at present.

Does anybody have reason to believe that there will be any more System i
POWER6 models available within the next 2 - 3 months? We could probably
wait a couple months if something new & cool is expected.

IBM might be having trouble producing the P6. The mid and low range
system p models are still on the p5. you would expect customers to
hold off purchasing those systems until the new models are available.
so IBM, by announcing last month that the P6 was available, is
effectively telling its customers to wait for the new models with
twice the speed of the old. My thinking is that IBM thought in July
when it announced the high end, that the low end would be ready to
sell sooner than later.

-Steve