Ron Adams wrote:

I guess the reason this bothers me so bad is that this user is just sloppy.
Not that I'm perfect or anything, I make plenty of mistakes. But, in order
to enter that kind of quantity (30107), the user has to press Enter at least
twice, plus they are presented with the final order status with the amounts.
So, they're not looking at what they're doing.

I guess in the end it's easier to put child locks on than it is to restrain
the child. I know that's probably a bad attitude, but I was of the
presumption that my users weren't children, well most of them anyway.

Ron:

Near the beginning, you said that your "customer service group" requested the change. From that, it's not clear what the problem is.

Are you responsible for approving changes? Is the support group aware of the (possible) effort that might be involved in making the change? Why are _they_ requesting the change?

It might be worthwhile to determine actual benefits of the change. If there are numerous times when dates are entered in the wrong fields and support people are regularly having to change their entries, maybe the problem is bigger than it seems. Maybe the three times that it has recently slipped past the double-Enter/verification is only one part of it. Maybe the mistake is made often, but simply caught; and there is a perception that too much time is wasted even when it doesn't slip past.

By making the change, you might be saving more time than just the later reversing entry. It might save time for all of them even though only one of them currently fails to catch problems.

Tom Liotta