From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ron Adams
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 1:54 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Justification for modifications?

Interesting info John. I'll have to look more into that so I do combat
with
our CFO and auditors on the whole testing/signoff of all the groups
thing.

As far as validation goes, it's a purchased ERP that's more than 12
years
old. We own most of the code, but another issue here is a mandate not to
do
any further modification of the system unless it's considered critical
or
business impacting. The plan is to be off this system within 18 months.

But, then I have to ask the question, if I should choose to modify it
and
validate a quantity entered, what's the best approach to doing so? Are
others validating quantity fields? If so, how?  I would think the best
approach would be to check the value entered if greater than a set value
like maybe 10,000 or some other arbitrary number, then query the user
"Are
you sure?", or simply restrict a single line from exceeding that number.
Otherwise, how do you tell the difference between a date of  030207 and
quantity of 30207?