On 2/26/07, rob@xxxxxxxxx <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I do not see that happening in the short term.  PASE is an environment,
hence the E in PASE.  Firing up an environment every time to access a DB2
function can't be good for performance.

But are you saying that IBM is using PASE to transition us from i5/os to
Linux or AIX?  I sometimes wonder myself.  New applications that get a lot
of push from IBM are primarily written in PASE, like IP Telephony and PHP.
 I feel that doing the additional work, and moving them to truly native,
like Domino, makes a far superior product.  Converting from native to PASE
however is merely a preparatory step to abandoning i5/OS altogether, like
IBM did with Tivoli Storage Manager.  If IBM did convert DB2 to run under
PASE I would feel that would be the LAST release of i5/OS.

It is kind of tricky. It does not make sense to keep DB2 out of PASE
for performance reasons ( of the PASE apps ) and duplication of effort
by IBM. DB2 for AIX has XML support and is probably more feature rich
in other ways than DB2 for i5/OS.  A vendor with a software package
written to use Java and DB2 on AIX might not be able to port to i5
only because i5 DB2 does not support XML.

But you cant have a database in PASE and another native ( as a
transition ) because of the confusion of having two copies of a table,
and performance problems what with native code accessing the PASE
database table.

-Steve