I need to add my $.02 here. I am new to the iSeries world (well just over a
year). The first task endeavored was to move our DB2/VSE database to
UDB/iSeries. The solution had to be practically "plug-and-play" meaning we
did not want to have to change our VSE applications and would (in the
beginning) be accessing the database remotely via TCP/IP from the VSE
platform. We went live on UDB/iSeries in June of 2006 and haven't looked
back since.

The few problems we've encountered have been in areas other than the
iSeries. This database compared to what I have been used to is absolutely
phenomenal. And for a small company like ours, the "bang" that we got for
our "buck" is simply amazing. I priced DB2/UDB Enterprise Edition for
platforms like Linux and the software alone cost almost as much as our total
cost for the i. We have gotten a huge ROI and will continue to reap the
benefits thereof.

Perhaps I am a bit naive here, comparing against a database that hardly
anyone in the IBM community has heard of, but UDB on the System i is world
class as far as I'm concerned. And with all the new goodies as of v5r4 like
OLAP and recursive SQL, I can't wait to get my hands on it!