Both of our HMC's have but one lan cable coming out of them (just
physically double checked).  They go to the switch.  They call IBM when
there is a hardware issue.  Actually had a call from IBM about a rack
prior to putting any other cables into it.  I can access either HMC
remotely.

HMC Management,  HMC Configuration, Customize Network Settings, Routing,
Default gateway.

QED.