Aaron,

It looks like your system was configured for LAN console. You should have
followed the instructions in STEP 7 "Cable the system unit and Operations
Console (LAN)" of the "Quick start guide for i5 520" that you referenced. If
you follow the instructions there it will tell you how the IP address for
the LAN console is established. You can connect the console PC to the T5
port of the i5 either through a straight ethernet cable (not crossover)
or via a hub or switch; I've done it both ways. I set one of these up two
weeks ago and it was a piece of cake if you RTFM and follow the directions.

To see what console your system thinks it has do the following from the
front panel of the i5:

press the up arrow once to change the 01 to a 02 then press enter.
press enter again to accept the B<.
press the down arrow once to change the N< to a M< and then press enter.
press enter to accept the T<.
You're now in manual mode.
press the up arrow untill you reach 25 and press enter, it should respond
with 25 00.
press the up arrow once more to reach 26 and press enter, it should respond
with 26 00. If it responds with 26 FF, repeat the 25, 26 combination again.
press the up arrow untill you reach 65 and press enter.
press the down arrow untill you reach 21 and press enter.
press the down arrow untill you reach 11 and press enter.
You should see A603500A displayed. If you do, this means your set for LAN
console.

Kind regards,

BJ

On 11/13/06, albartell <albartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>First, look to see how you're supposed to be connected.  Your system is
configured to use something, probably Op's Console.

Where do I look to see how my system is configured?  On the packing list
that shipped with my system I have this line item on it:

Feature   Quantity
5553         001        Sys console-ethernet no IOP

>You really need to RTFM.

I followed the "Quick start guide for i5 520" that came with my machine -
didn't get me there.  All the other links that I have followed have not
gotten me there (i.e. IBM Systems Hardware Information Center which was
somehow installed on my desktop and I have been pouring through that).  I
should not need to be well versed as an iSeries admin to get my machine
booted for the first time.

Can somebody confirm that I should be able to configure my iSeries if I
connect a desktop PC to it via ethernet cable that has the wires switched
for peer-to-peer capabilities (i.e. the desktop is directly etherneted
into
the iSeries without any other devices in-between)

On a last note, the display panel on my latest boot is displaying "01    B
N  V=F"  with a single "T" on the second line.

Thanks for any direction you can provide,
Aaron Bartell