Greetings and Salutations this fine Friday to this august group of highly respected and intelligent i people!

I have a customer with an i810 on V5R3 where we are moving from 19 35GB Drives with RAID protection to a mix of 70 and 35 GB Drives with MIRRORed protection. In preparation for the migration we have added a 5095 full of the 70 GB Drives as well as two more 70 GB drives in the only open slots in their 5094. These drives are Mirrored and added to ASP(1). In this process 5 of the existing 35 GB Drives will be completely removed and the remainder switched from RAID to MIRROR. So I have used STRASPBAL to *ENDALC on the 5 drives coming out and then STRASPBAL *MOVDTA *NOMAX to move the data. This has woked flawlessly for me in the past but in this case the system picked 8 of the current RAID drives to pile the data onto until they are north of 95% full and then stopped draining! Meanwhile the 70GB Mirrored units are all sitting at 32% full. Here is a snapshot of drives 7 through 20. Notices the bizzare percentages.

7 4326 26373 98.1 8 4326 26373 96.9
 9  4326    26373  98.4
10  4326    26373  96.5
11  4326    26373  96.6
12  4326    35165  91.1
13  4326    26373  96.7
14  4326    26373  96.6
15  4326    35165  49.9
16  4326    26373  50.4
17  4326    35165  40.2
18  4326    35165  40.0
19  4326    35165  39.9
20  4327    70564  32.1
20  4327    70564  32.1

Check ASP Balance status:

CHKASPBAL Unit 15 is selected for end allocation.
Unit 16 is selected for end allocation.
Unit 17 is selected for end allocation.
Unit 18 is selected for end allocation.
Unit 19 is selected for end allocation.
ASP balancing type *MOVDTA is active for ASP 1.
This has been running since Tuesday!

Note there is a significant disk usage from network storage spaces so I know those won't move while varied on, but this should only result in 15-19 not being MT, rather than 7-14 being nearly full.

 Thoughts, comments, Wild Ass Guesses?

  -Larry