Thanks for the stimulating question that got me looking some places I ought to be more familiar with.

DSPMSG QSYSOPR
F18 to get to the oldest entries

When we have an IPL, the System Operator Message Queue is erased and restarted.

Message Queues get all kinds of stuff from OS/400, from various application programs, and from end users human MSG*ALL which can clutter collection to point that perhaps you only want to view a sub-set based on nature of message severity etc.

Contents of message queues can disappear if
* Human opts to delete a message or collection of messages
* GO CLEANUP is set to wipe some out after so many days
* The Queue fills up and wraps

Joblogs are generated for all sorts of things, we habitually delete ours after backups, saving only those related to some reported problem. If you have not been deleting your joblogs, check on those owned by master security officer QSECOFR ... the first one is probably related to the last re-IPL.

All our connection disconnection hassles (T1 phone line, printer messages etc.) end up in QCFGMSGQ ... yours might go some place else depending on your WRKSYSVAL

You might display all your message queues, etc. to see what others are populated with useful data DSPMSG* and WRKMSG* and GO CMDMSG ignore those associated with users and their work stations, except those starting with letter Q are ones to review
ignore those in the libraries of application software

Most of the places you want to view are in
WRKMSGQ Q* Q*
(Q* message queues in Q* libraries), except this command not accept the second positional limitation

Remember there may be relevant queues not in your library list

Our QCONSOLE has message last time GO POWER was activated
Our QPGMR has traffic from stuff being reactivated in re-IPLs
Our QTCP has traffic from recovery from communication disruptions, including last re-IPL

Remember if option to do a "5" you can get time stamp when stuff happened, and if "5" not available to you, get same info via cursor on the message then F1

I'm sure I'm going to regret asking this becuase it probably obvious
but I can't think of it.  Is there a data area/file/something else
that will tell me the last time my machine was IPLed?  I'm sure it was
for Dayligth savings time but I'm ot sure.

Anyway, TIA.

Mike