What does the WRKPTFGRP screen look like?? make sure you are current on
PTF's

Is the system tuning the memory pools?  dspsysval qpfradj

_____________________________
Bryan Dietz
Aktion Associates

midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 04/06/2006 01:48:47 PM:

->
-> This isn't an RPG issue, so I'm replying to MIDRANGE-L.
->
-> I've had HORRIBLE performance since upgrading to V5R3. It's not one
thing
-> being slower, it's everything.  V5R3 is a terrible performer, there's
no
-> question about it.
->
-> Talking to various people, they told me:
->
-> suggestion: The cache battery on your disks may be dead.
-> reply: It's not.
->
->
-> suggestion: You need more memory, the upgrade to V5R3 was the straw
that
-> broke the camels back.
->
-> reply: I doubled the memory, and although it's faster than it was
before,
-> it's still much slower than V5R2
->
->
-> suggestion: You could X and Y and that'd make your applications more
-> efficient.
->
-> reply: True, but this didn't change when I upgraded to V5R3. They were
-> like this on V5R2, and writing new, more optimized, code for every
program
-> on my system just so that the operating system doesn't seem so slow
seems
-> like a workaround rather than a solution.
->
->
-> All of the "experts" I've talked to have told me that V5R3 performs
just
-> as well as V5R2.  I checked into this before I upgraded.  However,
there's
-> absolutely no question that this isn't true.  I suspect that somewhere
in
-> all the changes of the virtualization engine, they did something that
-> slows it all down.
->
-> At this point, though, i'm stuck with it until we're able to budget for
-> faster computer.  (We're running a 270)
->
-> ---
-> Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com
->