Anybody out there who's familiar with the OS/400 port of ZLIB?

We're developing a tool that is essentially a front-end for the MINIZIP utility supplied with the OS/400 port of ZLIB. Our tool basically either takes a single IFS directory and creates a ZIP archive with the contents of that directory, or steps through an entire IFS directory, performing the aforementioned conversion with every subdirectory in that directory. (There are a few added wrinkles, but they're not relevant to the problem at hand.)

At any rate, a customer tried this (with a test copy of the directory tree in question), and got a bunch of weird joblog messages.

They started with (some names changed)

error in opening /foo/bar/baz/EAL 806 - SCU 2004 Rev 2.xls for reading

After some completion messages, this was followed by

error opening /foo/bar/qux.zip

and

error in closing /foo/bar/qux.zip.

and

Program minizip completed with return code -102

and then over a thousand PAGES of

*NONE Information 02/13/06 14:57:04.239656 QP0ZCPA QSYS *STMT QP0ZCPA QSYS *STMT
 From module . . . . . . . . :   QP0ZUDBG
 From procedure  . . . . . . :   Qp0zVLprintf
 Statement . . . . . . . . . :   699
 To module . . . . . . . . . :   QP0ZUDBG
 To procedure  . . . . . . . :   Qp0zVLprintf
 Statement . . . . . . . . . :   699
Message . . . . : ERROR 3025 FOUND OPENING MESSAGE CATALOG
/QIBM/PRODDATA/OS400/SHELL/MRI2924/SHELL.CAT.

Can anybody explain what's going on here? This isn't making a whole lot of sense.

--
JHHL