Hi again Jim

seems to me a user space is better if the values are required to be persistent; I would expect that the environment variables would need to be set somewhere, maybe at best at IPL - which means you need somewhere to retrieve them from...

I like the indirection factor as well, but a user space works good for this stuff. You can easily knock up a command to mimic the behaviour of the WRKENVVAR command. Using a combination of a WRK<something> command and a RTV<something> command will achieve what you want. For the WRK command you need to investigate a Prompt override program. You guys already do this for the RTVIASPA command - why do it another different way ?

I generally use an External data structure to document the layout and impose structure but it is hardly a requirement - just a preference.

Re the beer: I'm up for a beer tomorrow night if you're interested, otherwise Sunday may be a chance.

Regards
Evan Harris