Hi Jim

Nice to see you on this list (at last !)

You might want to think about what level of the application the variables are for before you decide on the most appropriate medium. I am guessing that environment variables will be sharable across multiple database instances as from what I understand they live at the file system/operating system level. If the data that you want to pass around is application or database specific (which relates to your use of IASP's) then you may not want to be able share the data at this level.

When I have this kind of requirement I like to have a user space or a data area where I can store the data in a structure way and use a service program or RTV command to return the data I need when I need it. this makes it easy to change the container holding the data or the structure of the data without affecting any programs accessing the data because the access to the required data has been externalised. This works well if you are doing something like maintaining state or allowing multiple jobs to see what the status of a process is.

If the data is per-job related this may be too much overhead and a table might be better, but table records have a habit of hanging around whereas a user space created in QTEMP automatically goes away at end of job, which can be kind of handy.

Some food for thought anyway.

Regards
Evan Harris