Here are the details.

The history file contains information on all parts received. The
exception file has certain parts that require additional quality testing
that the vendor does not do. I need to read the history file for a
certain time period and if I find that one of the parts in the exception
file has been received I write the testing instructions to the print
file. If one of the parts in the exception file is not found in the
history file for the time period selected, I need to print a line that
says something like "part 123 not received".

With an OPNQRYF over the history file, I can read the exception file
then chain to history. If I find a record, I can write the the testing
instructions. If no record is found then I can write the "part not
received" line.

I can join both files with sql, but I don't know how to make it write
the "part not found" line. Some one mentioned coalesce() and I am in the
process of researching it to see if it will do what I need.

Thanks,

Terry