It's true that I can get the same selection with SQL that I can get with
OPNQRYF. The excess I/O comes in because I can't chain to the SQL
selection like I can with the OPNQRYF. The only way I know to do this
with SQL would be to select the records from the history file based on a
date range, then fetch each record and chain to the exception file to
see if item selected is found there. This would mean chaining out to the
exception file hundreds of times rather than chaning to the history file
4 or 5 times.

Thanks,

Terry