Thanks, Terry, I may have an answer. I think you can use a left outer join of
the the 2 files. This kind of join returns all records from the left hand file
with nulls where the right hand file values should be, if there is not a match.
In other words, you will get all the exception file records listed. If there is
a match, the columns from the history file will be included. If no match, those
columns will be set to NULL. The COALESCE replaces NULL columns with the text
you want when there is no match.

select excfile.partno,
coalesce(histfile.instructions, 'part ' || excfile.partno || ' not received')
from excfile left outer join histfile
on excfile.partno = histfile.partno
where histfile.histdate between :startdate and :enddate

There might be other fields you need in the list, I just used the part number.
BTW, if the part number is numeric, you will need to convert it to text in
order to concatenate it into the "not received" text.

Also, notice the colons (:) before startdate and enddate. This indicates host
variables - RPG variables whose values will be inserted into the SELECT
statement. This makes for and easy way to programatically handle the daterange.
Use and appropriate date format to match your data.

HTH
Vern