Dave

A couple ideas - you can get a list of the files, as you know, with DSPOBJD to
an output file. The attribute, whether PF or LF, is contained in that
information. Then loop through the output file and take action only for PFs.

I'm not sure I get the problem with SAVF's - if you save the PFs and their LFs
together, you can save them without access path data, for one thing. In any
case, the restore works just fine, in my experience - nothing points to the old
system, as I recall. You must restore the PFs first - I assume you knew that.
It really doesn't matter what the libraries were - you WILL have trouble if you
restore the LFs to a library other than the one where the PFs are, however.
Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to have PFs and LFs in different
libraries. If you need to do that, the long-accepted practice is to send source
for the LFs and create them on the remote system, as you describe. Many vendors
do this anyway, as source is often smaller than the LFs would be.

Back to the CPYTOTAP - if you use this with an LF, it puts the data on the tape
as "viewed" through the LF, as I recall. It does not put just the access path
on tape - you use SAVxx commands for that. So you cannot use this method to put
an LF on a remote system - besides, CPYFRMTAP can only go to a PF.

CPYTOTAP is the basic copy file technique for going to tape. It may also be
possible to use an OVRxx command to redirect CPYF to different "file
structures". E.g., OVRTAPF (Override with Tape File) will probably redirect
things. This lets you have a single program, naybe, that can be wrappered with
various overrides to direct the output where you want it. Not used so much as
it used to be when there were more device types to worry about, perhaps, but
still there.

But this should not be this complicated. It usually just works.

Does this help? Come on back with more questions!

Vern