Vern,

I'm not fixated on any one command.   I just need a command or commands
that will allow me to back up and recover PF and LF separately so I can
just move the data in the physicals from one environment to another
where the PF names will be the same but the library names will change.
This for a data refresh on a regular basis.   We found that using the
standard movement command like SAVF backs up the PF and LF which screws
us because the LFs point back to the system they came from.

I'd like to copy to tape so I don't have to take up DASD but I may have
to use whatever I'm stuck with.

Again, I can't believe the iSeries doesn't have a basic copy file
technique found in any well architected OS that allows the movement of
data from one file structure to another without having to deal with any
logical file/view over that data.   If the native OS doesn't have
commands or utilities that will allow me to do what I want to do I'm
thinking about using SQL to INSERT * ... (SELECT from ... to tables on
DASD and then use a SAVF, move the SAVF, "unpack" it and do a Clear of
the PF and then another INSERT * ...               What a long way
around the barn if I have to do this.

In the above case, I'm not exactly sure what I'll need to do vis-a-vis
the access paths/methods of the LF on the gaining system.   As you can
imagine, the data may be new  in the new PFs and the LF will have to
know where everything is.

If and when I need to deal with LFs, it looks like I'll have to move
their Source and then recompile;  much like Views over Tables.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave