I have not done this with Domino but there is no reason why it could not
be done that way.  You could actually mount the UDFS right to your
/Domino/Data directory.  You will want to pay special attention to your
backup strategy unless you don't mind backing this up multiple times.

We have all of our WAF documents stored this way, on external Shark DASD
in ASP 3.  Since it's 565 GB, I omit /dev/QASP03 from all of our backups
and backup these documents separately, while mounted.  As far as
performance goes, we have not seen any issues, but we are only
retrieving individual documents, 100 KB at a time.  I would think that
any of the newer IOPs should give you acceptable performance, especially
if you are using internal DASD.

I would also talk to the iSeries Domino group at SupportLine to find out
if there are any options that must be specified for a Domino UDFS on the
CRTUDFS command, specifically the Case sensitivity parameter.

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator
GuideOne Insurance Group