Chuck Lewis wrote on 08/12/2005 03:37:54 PM:

> OK, it reset it to QSECOFR in upper case and it is case sensitive (i.e.
the
> field for password does not default to upper case like the user ID).
>
> So I get in and it says the password has expired.

Correct. That is why in an earlier not in this thread that Rob suggested
this:

>>STRSST
>>7. Work with system security
>>Allow a service tools user ID with a
>> default and expired password to change
>> its own password . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1  1=Yes, 2=No

I disagree with that suggestion because it makes your system more
vulnerable. If you have physical access to your system you can still use
DST without IPLing the system. Then once you change the password from
within DST you can use it in STRSST. The security vulnerability I was
referring to is described below.

One devious install exit program trick is to bypass the security policy of
the system by using the virtual terminal API to invoke the Display Alter
Dump function of STRSST and then using it to change a program from user
state to system state. Since the install exit program could use the Change
IBM Service Tools Pwd (CHGDSTPWD) command to change that password, we need
something else to protect the system.

The solution is a new V5R2 SST security option called "Allow a service
tools user ID with a default and expired password to change its own
password". When this option is set to 2 (No) a user cannot sign-on to SST
with an expired and default password. This means that after CHGDSTPWD is
used the QSECOFR service tool user ID can only sign-on to DST where they
will be forced to change their password. Since virtual terminal API cannot
be used to start DST the system can be fully protected from devious install
exit programs changing system values. So to maintain maximum security and
control while installing new applications, set your system values to the
way you want them, and then use SST to set both the "Allow system value
security changes" and the "Allow a service tools user ID with a default and
expired password to change its own password" options to 2 (No).

Ed Fishel,
edfishel@xxxxxxxxxx