I think this twists Microsoft's "Midrange Modernization Tour" as well.
The emphasis there is not so much eliminating iSeries, but using .NET as
the integration software of choice instead of WebSphere.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pat Barber
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:59 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: midrangenews.net

I don't recall California Software ever doing anything but
trying to replace midrange boxes. They have been around for
a good many years and I suppose they have had some success.

Based on what I have seen and heard over the years, they "say"
they can be "just like" a 36/400/iseries/etc and the migration
is just painless.

I have spoke to several people who tried the "painless"
approach and it was a little different story.

The midrange market is changing but I doubt it will ever go away
based on what California Software does or doesn't do.

IBM is constantly changing and that is nothing new. It never seems to
have any affect on the midrange market.

What hurts the market is quite simple.

Nobody is selling the box these days.

If I were a betting man, I bet 85% of the customers who had S/XX boxes
back in 1985 still have some form of the box today. There have always
been companies that left the fold and others that just folded their
tent.

The pc and MS have changed the picture but not in the way you
think. It's just made the job more difficult and certainly more complex
to the users.