John -

I think that you'll find that once your users drink the imaging tea they
won't be able to stop.  We have run imaging on the iSeries for 10 years
now.  Originally the retention was three years, then seven, now ten.
Originally we kept 90 days worth of documents live on DASD, then 180
days, now 5 years.  In our case that equates to about 13 million
documents of which 6.5 million are live on Shark DASD fiber attached to
the iSeries.  Our next big project is Enterprise Content Management.

So add scalability to your iSeries justification, Ron.  How well will
your Windows DB server scale past 10 million records?

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator
GuideOne Insurance Group