A couple of months ago I spot-checked the price of taking our 2-way i5
570 to a 3/4-way for the express purpose of adding AIX.  No extra RAM,
disk, or anything else.  Well, because of a certain "feature" called
Enterprise Enablement, that has NOTHING to do with AIX and ONLY impacts
i5/OS, the cost was more than buying a base 8-way p5.  Now, the 8-way p5
properly configured with disk and RAM would cost the same or more, but
that's for 8 (higher speed) CPUs, not 1.

So much for consolidation.  *sigh*

I've made IBM aware of the disparity, but I doubt they'll feel inclined
to do much about it.