From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of
ChadB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSent: Monday, February 14, 2005 10:37 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: PASE runtime going away!!!!

I'd like to hear more discussion on what it means to someone using it for
DNS... we're setup with DNS on iSeries and really like the setup (for many
reasons).  We've got it configured and think of it as "OS/400 DNS" and
won't be interested in bringing AIX into the organization for this purpuse.
I'm thinking that there will be some way to handle DNS on the iSerieswithout
having to go full blown AIX... that would be a major disservice to
many AS400 shops.

             Don
             <dr2@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             02/14/2005 10:39                                      Subject
             AM                        RE: PASE runtime going away!!!!

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

hopefully they'll get the pricing issues figured out by then.  Frankly,
I'm running AIX on a pseries right now and it's a REALLY CHEAP solution
compared to running AIX on iSeries hardware.  Make sure you price out the
differences before you buy...

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm using PASE on a 270 and a partitioned 825. I *think* the message
> here is that if you want to run AIX apps on a new box, you'll need
> 'real' AIX, not just the run-time. I don't think it will affect
> existing boxes. I wonder if V5R2 PASE will work on V5R3?

PASE AIX runtime environment (feature 5732 of OS/400) from marketing, as
well as its feature 1893 36.4 GB, 10K RPM disk drives. Now that the i5
supports the real AIX, IBM doesn't want to sell customers an AIX
runtimeenvironment or pay to support it on older machines. Customers who want to
run Unix applications on their OS/400 platforms will just have to upgrade
to i5s and run the real AIX."

> > WTF?  I don't explicitly use PASE at present, but I was under the
impression that some of the new features in OS/400, (DNS, C++ compiler
maybe?) were actually AIX executables running in PASE.  How can they kill
it off?

> > Seems like that could cause some problems to those on older but recent
boxes such as my 810.

> > How exactly does the dropping work?  If I order v5r3 now will it have
PASE but if I order it after March 1 it won't?

> > Charles Wilt
> > iSeries Systems Administrator / Developer
> > Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
> > ph: 513-573-4343
> > fax: 513-398-1121
> >

> > --
list
> > moment to review the archives
>
> --
list
> moment to review the archives

to review the archives

_

Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.
For more information please visit http://www.ers.ibm.com
_

_