On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:43:18 -0600, Joe Pluta
<joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > From: whiterabbit1
> >
> > The reasons the students are versed in .net are because that
> > environment is dead easy for the school to set up.  They get the
> > software dirt cheap or free from Microsoft.  Student's see .net as
> > having a future, at least more than the iSeries, which most of them
> > have never heard of.  The other driver is jobs.  You can get a job as
> > a .net developer.  How many new graduates are needed this year to fill
> > iSeries jobs?
>
> In my area, there are nearly as many RPG jobs as .NET jobs.  And the
> numbers seem to be on the rise for RPG.
>
> Based on your scenario, the schools should be teaching Java over
> everything.  Java trumps them both in number of positions available, and
> Java is just as easy to set up (and with Eclipse, you have a great, free
> IDE).
>
> Joe

I'm not meaning to knock RPG or Java.  I'm just saying .net has that
"...mmmm shiny thing" effect.  To be honest though, I don't thing
Websphere sets up quite as easily as a .net environment because if it
did global services couldn't spend months on site at $$$/hr.