Maybe you can't use the existing sizable pool of skilled professionals.
Let's face it, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.
 If you've tried conferences, education, etc to get these people to start
using WDSC, etc and they still refuse to grow then it's time to let them
work on the routine maintenance and brink on the new talent.  Why would
anyone put a dime into an RPG person for Java education when said person
refuse to use a subprocedure or a service program?  If they can't grasp
that, they sure aren't going to grasp Java.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Booth Martin" <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
02/07/2005 01:23 PM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Also Leaving MidRange Equipment

OK, lets say I like this approach and want to use the existing sizable
pool
of skilled professionals that have a bias for the iSeries.  How do you
bring
the 5250 mind-set to GUI?

I think of IBM's Visual Age RPG product which actually works, uses our
skills, and is free.  We turned it down with a huge ho-hum.  I think of
Code/400 and the advantages IBM has given us for editing our old and new
code.  Another huge ho-hum.  I think of iSeries Code Studio as another
huge
ho-hum.

How do we convince management that the iSeries is a competitive advantage
over the organizations laboring with Microsoft solutions or trying to
manage
a business with the various cookie-cutter ERP products out there.

Booth Martin

http://www.martinvt.com