The only constant in this business is basic algorithmic design and and
fundamentals... and I learned that in engineering school.  I still continue to
get as much education as I can (even on my own dime!)  The computer languages
and hardware changes, but solid analysis and design never changes.  With that
said, along with my state admiration of the iSeries, I am studying C# and will
start sometime with Java.  Keep the mind flexible!

I remember counting clock cycles to determine performance between different
algorithms!  It all boils down to this: Is it easy for the programmer, or easy
for the computer?  If you have the ability to get closer to the computer in the
first pass, your solutions will be more efficient (less I/O, less CPU, etc.)

If IBM won't do what it can to price and market the iSeries better, well, I'll
still be here when they're gone, programming C# on WinTel machines.  And IBM
will have lost the biggest advantage they've never capitalized on... the
iSeries.  Spawned from the labs in Rochester to be a mainframe-killer in the
late 70s.  Son of the System/38...

Don't 'cha hate to see a company like IBM squander this advantage for a
short-term service advantage?  IBM Global Services won't have a chance when the
Indian and Chinese firms get a handle on marketing services... IBM's advantage
is the solid, secure, reliable HARDWARE.

William

<<snip>>