A few things are essential here.

Rule #1:    Put your logicals if at all possible in the same library as the
physicals.  If for  whatever reason they MUST go in another library, try to
rethink this decision.  If rethinking doesn't work, get somebody to take a
38" 2 x 4 and hit you upside the head until it works.

Rule #2.    Always specify ACCPTH(*YES).  This is effectively the default
in V5R3, which deviates from the old system standard.  (There's a new
system value that defaults it to *YES.)  If you don't have enough time or
tape, get a larger processor and/or tape drive.  Your logicals can only
restore if they are in the same library as the physicals, otherwise they
must be rebuilt.  (*BAD)

Rule #3.    If you must do something terrible, like putting logicals in a
different library from the physicals, you need to make sure that they are
both saved and restored after the physicals.  Assuming you use the IBM
backup strategies which save libraries in alphabetic order (except in V5R3,
where they deviate slightly (*BAD), put them later in alphabetic order.

IBM has been saying for years that this is going to be fixed in the future,
and I've been promising to lose 100 pounds.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             Mike Berman
             <mikeba777@yahoo.
             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             12/07/2004 06:02                                      Subject
             PM                        Disaster Recovery issues

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

HI I was looking for any planning and practical advice for reducing the
time necessary to bring up your system at the D.R. facility.

I heard that the order in which you load your logicals was a key factor. If
you have any direct experience w/ this scenario please share.

Thanks,

M.B.