I thought prior to V5R3 syncing got into the hardware clock versus
software clock debate.  Unless you purchased the fix from Consult Line to
do this.  Or got iSeries Navigator configured to do this. I never could
get the iSeries Navigator part to work.  Tried working with support line
but they kept sending me over to Consult Line to purchase their package.

V5R3's syncing works good, with but a few concerns.  One is that it will
only jump a little at a time.  So if you're suddenly an hour off if might
take it quite some time to catch up.  And if your over a certain limit (3
hours?) it won't even try.

V5R3 has a different support for the time change.

Couple of things from V5R3 Memo to Users (looks pretty prior to being
pasted here):

SNTP client changes the system clock instead of the software clock In
V5R3, the SNTP client changes the system clock instead of the software
clock. If you want to have the software clock changed, or if you install
V5R3 on a server that does not support system clock adjustment (iSeries
models 7xx, 170, and 250), you must create a data area (*DTAARA) object
named QTOTSNTP. Use the following CL command to create this data area
object: CRTDTAARA DTAARA(QUSRSYS/QTOTSNTP) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(9)
VALUE(*SOFTWARE) AUT(*USE) To switch back to having the SNTP client change
the system clock, run the following CL command to delete the data area
object: DLTDTAARA DTAARA(QUSRSYS/QTOTSNTP)

QUTCOFFSET and QTIMZON system value changes In V5R3, changes to the
QUTCOFFSET system value will not occur if the specified offset conflicts
with the offset calculated by the server using the time zone description
set in the QTIMZON system value. In a future release, the QUTCOFFSET
system value will become a read-only system value. If you want to define
the time zone for a server before you install V5R3, you should create a
data area named QWCTIMZON in the QSYS library. The QWCTIMZON data area
should be a character data area with a minimum length of 16 characters.
The format is defined in the following way: v Byte 1: Sign for UTC offset
(either â+â or â-â) v Bytes 2 and 3: Hours for UTC offset (00 to 12) v
Byte 4: Time separator (ignored; included to improve readability of
information in data area) v Bytes 5 and 6: Minutes for UTC offset (00 to
59) v Bytes 7 through 16: Time zone description name, left justified and
padded on the right with blanks.
Because the server automatically adjusts the local system clock for
Daylight Saving Time support in V5R3, you should remove other mechanisms
for changing the time, such as job schedule entries and system startup
program logic, that you might have created in previous releases. For
detailed information about time management, see the Time Management topic
in the iSeries Information Center.

See also:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzati/rzatikickoff.htm

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Bill Hogue" <bhogue@xxxxxxxxx>
10/28/2004 12:28 PM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
Daylight Savings Time and NTP

If our iSeries (v5r2) is syncing to a network time source (CHGNTPA),
will I still need to manually change for daylight savings time?   The
time source changes automatically.

Thanks,

Bill Hogue
Network Manager