From the  COMMON  WEB SITE
http://www.common.org/Conferences/conferences_04/fall/F04travel.html

Getting to Toronto from the U.S.

Passports
U.S.-born citizens should carry a passport or a certified birth certificate as well as a photo ID to enter Canada. Naturalized citizens require naturalization certificates with photo ID, and permanent residents who are not citizens require an alien-registration card.

If you don't have a passport, please make sure to apply for one at least 12 weeks in advance, as the process can take 6 - 8 weeks.

Travel to Toronto
The Toronto area has several airports. Conference attendees should plan to fly into the Pearson International Airport, airport code YYZ, for maximum convenience.

Currency
If possible, change some money to Canadian dollars before you leave for Toronto. Getting Canadian currency at home guarantees a good exchange rate and low fees. Otherwise, you can use your credit, debit and bank cards in Canada and you will be charged at the current exchange rate. For the latest exchange rate, visit <http://www.xe.com>www.xe.com. You'll find that your U.S. dollars go a long way in Toronto because of the favorable exchange rate for U.S. travelers!

Borders and Customs
Canada has one of the most advanced customs organizations in the world, and the borders and the processes the country has in place to manage them are absolutely critical to their ability to provide Canadians and visitors to Canada with the security and economic growth and opportunity they expect.

When asked why you are traveling to Canada, state that you are attending a conference, and will be receiving no remuneration from any Canadian source. If you are planning to stay in Canada for vacation, be sure to tell the agent.

Visitors entering Canada must clear Canada Customs border security upon entry. For visitors traveling by road, Toronto's nearest Canada-U.S. border crossings are at Niagara Falls, Fort Erie and Windsor.

Returning Home
When you leave Canada, remember to allow extra time to go through U.S. customs.

Some i nformation taken from <http://www.torontotourism.com/TOEssentials/BordersCustoms.htm>www.torontotourism.com/TOEssentials/BordersCustoms.htm