BLOB is physically in the database.  The datalink is a pointer to your
IFS, or other server, file.

We use a datalink to reference engineering drawings for a web based

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755

"Dan Bale" <dbale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by:
10/08/2004 11:56 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Fax to

DATALINK (was: How can I store an externally generated PDF in a file or

> Alternately there is another database field type called a
> DATALINK which contains the URL (path) of the PDF file.
> If setup with "database permissions", the system will
> secure the PDF file in the IFS and require an "access
> token" read from the database file in order to reference
> the PDF file.

Whoa, I think I need to know more about this DATALINK.  We have a need in
the near future to reference photos, drawings, signatures that will be
stored in the IFS and link them to a particular record in the native
database.  Or should I say, the native file record will have links to the
IFS objects.  Without fully recognizing all of the capabilities, the only
function I could see using this for would be to automatically pop up a
photo/drawing/signature in Windows when a user hits a function key on a
green-screen app (F9=Show mug shot).

However, looking through the archives, I have to wonder how stable this
In, Richard
Theis of IBM shows what appear to be several complex steps to set up and
then adds "Sometimes, it works !"  He provides a reference that I have yet
to look at, but if it is typical of most IBM manuals, it won't give any
to" advice.

I guess I'm still unclear about the difference between a BLOB and a
DATALINK.  Anyone feel like taking a stab?