Go to the V5R3 Information Center and select
Programming/Globalization/What's new for V5R3

The first item is what you are looking for.

             "Urbanek, Marty"
             ercomm.com>                                                To
             Sent by:                  <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange-l-bounce                                          cc
                                       SBCS Primary w/ DBCS Secondary on
             10/08/2004 10:37          V5R3?
             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems

I am under the impression that with V5R3 we are now able to have DBCS
secondary languages on a system with an SBCS primary language. I even found
a reference to it in the midrange-l archives, stating that all V5R3 systems
are DBCS enabled.

However, I am having trouble confirming this in the IBM docs (sales manual,
Info Center, System Handbook). Can anybody point me to an IBM doc that
states this?