>And I am finding out that it is a little harder to get PC's outside
>of local routers to see each other (without setting up LMHosts files,
etc.).

Chuck,

If you're having those problems you'll have those problems with the
iSeries as a file server too. When you say you "KNOW every PC can get to
it" I assume you mean because they can start a 5250 session. However,
the mechanism used to "find" the iSeries for 5250 is DNS, while the
mechanism used to find the iSereis for file serving will be either WINS
or broadcast[1]. When you're using the iSeries as a file server the
windows boxes think they're talking to another Windows box.

Can the iSeries act as a WINS server? (I use W2K servers, so I've never
tried). If so, you may want to enable that service and add a WINS entry
to your DHCP config. That way when the clients go looking for
\\my-file-server they can find it regardless of the location of the box.

-Walden

[1] Yes, 2000 and XP can use DNS, but they're usually not setup that
way.

Walden H Leverich III
President & CEO
Tech Software