Rob,

I appreciate the effort.  I really APPRECIATE you're looking to broker
something FOR the 400 folks.

I suppose I should re-visit EDTF/DSPF before commenting.  Because my
recollection is that it seemed more like a souped-up version of EDLIN from
old DOS days, rather than being even as useful as Notepad, which Tom
mentioned.

But I think your missing the point that Don has BEEN MAKING for years now,
and the point of what I said below about the 80/20 rule being mis-applied...
We're getting to the point where the tool choices are basically gonna
revolve around Eclipse, EDTF and vi.

Do you understand why I'm not particularly happy??  Eclipse, from what I've
seen, is worse than Code/400 rather than better.  EDTF--I'll look into
again.  Then if we don't like those, we'll be given the option of vi, which
I've looked at enough and won't comment on because I don't use that language
in public.

But, personally, I'm not sure we're gonna agree on a lotta of this and I
think it's time some-a you folks understood that this is NOT the direction
to be moving towards:

edtf STMF('/qsys.lib/qgpl.lib/strcode.usrspc')
dspf STMF('/qsys.lib/qgpl.lib/strcode.usrspc')

As opposed to STRSEU QGPL/STRCODE or STRSEU QGPL/STRCODE *USRSPC.  I didn't
look at DBU yet, but supposedly they were able to do this easy enough.

We've disagreed on this, in the past Rob if you recall.  You and some others
seem to think there's basically no difference in command syntax, and the
former is actually better, when it isn't.

| |
| | Rob Berendt
|
| | "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
| | Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
| | 03/21/2004 12:53 PM
|
| | Didn't know that, Colin.
| |
| | But WHY would anybody WANT to do this??  (I used EDTF.. like once or
| twice
| | was enuf, iirc.)  I mean, as opposed to STRSEU QGPL/STRCODE...
| |