Joe,

All Linux offers free iso downloads somewhere - I haven't found Lindows.
Check http://www.linuxiso.org/

I hadn't thought about the CD burning issue but I believe we were talking
about Windows.  Usually when you buy a PC with a burner it comes with some
burning software that can do it.  If not, I am sure there already are free
utilities somewhere.  Once you get a Linux system running, it certainly
comes with software that does this.

I use VMWare to run Linux with XP as the host OS.  VMWare allows you to
just use the .iso as if it were a CD, I do not even need to burn it.

Mark