I think you are somewhat off-base.

First off, I am not exactly clear on how TAATOOLS plays into this.  While
IBM provided this in the old days, that was a long time ago and I do not
believe they were ever supported by IBM, nor where they ever enhanced
much.  If you use TAATOOLS today then you purchased them from a 3rd party.
 If you are saying that you used their source code as a starting point for
your tools, then you are correct, you should not contribute those to the
iSeries Toolkit as that would likely be a violation of your license terms.

I think you are correct that David is doing most or all of the work for
the iSeries Toolkit, but the only way that is going to change is for
people to contribute something.  You do not have any way to know how many
people are using the toolkit, it could be a little, it could be a lot. One
of the reasons I pointed you in that direction was that the tools you
described seemed to matchup with what he is providing.  So it would make
some sense to add your tools to his toolkit, or in the case of something
like your CHKLNK command, extending the one David provides to have the
features you want to add.

I guess my main point is that IBM is not going to do anything about any of
this, so if you want a library of rich utilities the best you can do is
support one of the efforts that are underway to provide such a library.
David's is not the only one, and if you want you could always create your
own.

Mark

craigs@xxxxxxxxx
10/07/2003 09:52 AM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion