I was looking at the API's here for something that would fit my needs:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/info/apis/dirserv1.htm

But let me back up first.  What I am trying to do is to verify someone's
signon.  Let's say I have an FTP exit point program.  Currently I have
dummy users in this here file.  When someone signs on as this dummy user I
use this file to check what they are allowed to do, and to what iSeries
user profile do I assign them.  In other words, they do not need a
traditional iSeries user profile to sign on.  PHB says that I now have to
store all users into our LDAP.  Currently our LDAP is in Domino, but that
shouldn't matter.  What I want to do is to query that ldap server for this
user and password and see if it is valid.  Once I get past that hurdle,
then I want to be able to query other fields in the ldap.  I'm a little
new at this ldap stuff.  Granted I've created a Domino database, and use
the directory assistance database to join that with our names.nsf to serve
up a LDAP.  And I've successfully tested that with a few different
applications.  (Like pointing a browser to ldap://gdisys01:636).

Other point(s) of consideration:
SSL will be involved, (hence the 636 in the above example).

Have any of you used these api's or otherwise been able to query an LDAP
from a program, (for grins let's say RPG)?

Benjamin Franklin