Hi Hans

First, note that I'm just some programmer lackey buried somewhere deep in this organization who has absolutely no input into the company's ad strategy. But I have some idea of what business this company wants to be in, and as far as I can tell, the current ads we see are consistent with that strategy. (And I actally like some of those ads!)

Fair enough Your response just happened to be the one I picked ! :)

Second, it's not really appropriate to compare IBM's strategy with that of other companies. MS (and others) are pushing specific products. But things happen so fast in this industry that it's very easy to get caught out. And so basically IBM's "product" is services. (That may well be an over-simplification.) That is, whereas MS's business model depends on extracting as many licenses as possible for a single piece of software on a single machine, IBM's business model is less sensitive to changing technology since we seem to be embracing many different technologies. Also, MS has this nasty habit of getting into competition with it's business partners, which is also a game we don't want to play.

My point here is that comparisons with other companies, especially MS, are meaningless.

Well I'd agree with you here because right now IBM is playing a very different game, however you have left out the other two brands I _deliberately_ included in my comparison and moved the discussion to MS's business practises, not the product/marketing difference I was pointing at.

Your (i.e. IBM's) competitors are standing in front of the customer saying "we recommend our product for your business needs and it will do everything you want it to and more." IBM is standing in front of the customer and saying "if you like Oracle, or Sun, or Microsoft, or Dell we can do something like all those (only better), once you decide whether you want a database on unix, or a database on intel."

Without drawing this not-so-imaginary conversation out the end result is that IBM no longer proposes a solution, or at the very least is at pains not to makes too much of a pitch in any one area, but says take any solution and I can help you with it.

If IBM is unwilling to propose solutions, or back vendors who are proposing solutions (as per Mark's reply, which is similar to what I have also observed out in the real world) they destroy the credibility you need at the negotiating table to seriously propose a _different_ solution like an iSeries. I mean, how does it look when a BP proposes an iSeries and the manufacturer won't stand up and say that it is the best solution ?

My experience in the market is that IBM is not willing to propose or unreservedly support an iSeries solution because it is scared of missing out on a sale. Consequently it proposes solutions that are middle of the road, wishy-washy, dare-to-be mediocre efforts, which will always be subject to competition for hardware, software and services on an on-going basis because they are the same proposals every one else is making, except with different badges.

Not only is the iSeries a great machine, but if IBM invested the effort to get the iSeries into accounts it would reap the benefits for a lot longer than the short term gains it is currently looking for, as it already has for many years.

I would even go as far as to say that the current ability to fund advertising for xSeries and consulting is largely an outcome of IBM's past courage in pushing it's own barrow and thus (still) providing a solid cash flow from its "legacy" systems to allow the xSeries and pSeries solutions to be put into accounts at a massive discount to get a sale "right now".

The only problem with this solution is that you get to fight the fight every day of the week and eventually you lose some customers, you win some customers, you reduce your margins... ad infinitum

At least with an iSeries or Zeries solution once it is in has to be won back the hard way. The other companies sales people then have to argue on IBM's terms not their own.

Thirdly, personally, I don't disagree with the need for more iSeries exposure, provided it's in the right place. But the right place, in my opinion, is the trade publications, not the general media.

I am not so concerned about this, but I would like to see a situation where IBM dared to be a little different and promote its own creations instead of having a "me too" mentality.

The problem with the strategy IBM is undertaking is that the logic is beguiling but its the same lazy logic that got Andersens into so much trouble (not that I'm suggesting IBM is doing anything crooked ! ) It's just that the idea that consulting and services can make all the profit and you can forget about what got to where you can offer those solutions is just absurd. The credibility to offer the solutions and services is actually derived from the success implementing and delivering IBM's own solutions.

Finally, I wonder if there are zSeries or xSeries fans who are complaining about lack of ad exposure in their particular arenas! ;-)

Cheers! Hans