Hans

the problem with IBM's approach is that no-one knows what they stand for. Everyone knows what Microsoft (or Sun or Oracle) stands for. They stand for their flagship product. When they are talking to a customer they recommend their product as the solution and tell the customer why they should buy it.

IBM tries to be all things to all people and thus advises the customer that whatever solution they choose IBM can help. This kind of advice is actually no help to the customer (of for that matter the BP). IBM ends up looking unassertive and indecisive. This does not win sales it just makes IBM sounds like a "me too !" beggar.

In this case I think the logic is based on a false assumption because the IBM brand is not associated with a specific product. Think Microsoft, think "Windows", Think Oracle, think Oracle, Think Sun, think Sun etc etc

IBM needs to create brand awareness for its four branded products.

Regards
Evan Harris

If you're selling the IBM name to the general audience, you want to promote the name. When someone needs IT services, they'll then know to call IBM, and then the IBM rep can sell the services the customer needs. That may involve a piece of iSeries hardware, but it may involve other kinds of hardware or service. These days, you sell solutions, not boxes.

Cheers! Hans