FWIW, things should be a lot faster when WDSC 5.1 comes out later this
month.  I have been using WSAD 5.1 and it is much faster than 5.0 was.

There are two primary reasons:

1)  Eclipse base has moved from 2.0 to 2.1 and there were a lot of
performance optimizations made.

2)  IBM is now including a new JVM that they are using to run the IDE.
This JVM is called the J9 JVM and was originally developed for small
embedded systems.  I am not sure of all of the details but it provides a
noticeable performance boost.  For example, the IDE starts in about 5-8
seconds on my machine instead of 45-60 seconds with 5.0.

So for those two reasons alone WDSC 5.1 should be a lot faster.  The
announcement also mentions that they are using caches more in 5.1 so
hopefully things like program verify will also be a lot faster.

"Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
09/09/2003 01:03 PM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion