Joe Pluta wrote:
From: Hans Boldt
But yes, for legacy applications, if your pointers have to be large
to begin with, it does make it easier to scale up applications to
monolithic proportions. In other words, you pay a penalty in advance
for the prospect of easier upgrades in the future.

This to me is truly a red herring. What penalty? More memory? Hardly a price to pay for easier upgrades. Trust me on this, Hans. From an application vendor's standpoint, I'll be much happier to have to sell a few extra MB of RAM than telling my client it's a two man-week job to upgrade.

You're right that today it is a small price to pay for easier future upgrades. The choice is now a no-brainer.

But I remember what it was like in the S/38 days, when RAM and disk store were vastly more expensive, and that had a big influence on systems programming on that machine. For example, if you wanted a list of fullwords, using a linked list took up 4 times the storage than on a more conventional architecture. And so, (among other things) you avoided pointer usage, even if pointers would be the natural solution.

I suppose you could say that the S/38 really was 15-20 years ahead of its time. Now, adding extra RAM and disk is no big deal. But on the other hand, a linked list of fullwords *still* uses up 4 times as much memory as on more conventional architectures, and that still sometimes grates on my programming sensibilities. On my home computer, I know I should add a few hundred more megs to improve the performance of the image manipulations that I often do. But really now, why isn't 128MB RAM enough on a home computer???

Having lots of cheap RAM and disk have interesting consequences that have yet to play out. Some researchers propose doing away with databases on hard disks and keeping gigabytes of data in RAM memory. The rationale seems to be the impedence mismatch between objects and database rows. By keeping everything in memory, you can maintain the data more easily in an object model. This also meshes nicely with the single level store model. But then again, you still have to address the issue of communicating with other systems and saving the objects to persistent store for backup purposes.

On a more practical level, lots of RAM does offer interesting opportunities for programmers. For example, these days when I write a program to make a number of systematic changes to a set of files, the easiest and most straight-forward approach is just to read each file whole into a program variable, rather than process the files one record at a time.

Anyways, enough rambling for now. What was the topic again? ;-)

Cheers! Hans