Rob, it has been too long for me to recall the exact circumstances under which
I experienced this
same problem, but it seems to me that we got this error when the tape was not
yet initialized.
This obviously isn't your problem, but I wonder if something in the tape header
is getting
corrupted.

If the failing INZTAP has not actually initialized the headers, I wonder if you
could restore
something from the tape.

The DSPTAP idea might work, but I'd consider it a weak test.  If it were me, I
think I'd try to
restore an object from the tape after the CHKTAP to test if it really is a
media error.  But,
then, you're not getting this error all the time.  Hmmm.  Or I might also
monitor the media error
counts in SST.  I trust that the tapes are of recent vintage.

If I were getting this error, I think I'd:
 1) DSPTAP
 2) RSTOBJ an object from the first library saved on the tape
 3) Try another INZTAP CHECK(*YES)
If #3 works, then you've got a real head scratcher.
If #3 fails:
 4) INZTAP CHECK(*NO)
 5) Save a few libraries to the tape (with EXPDATE = today), then try to
restore them.
 6) ???

Rob, have you checked for APARs?

Probably nothing much useful here, but I HTH.
- Dan