Oliver, ODBC may not have been the culprit. What kind of data access was the VB application using, DAO, RDO, or direct calls to the ODBC API? Or other? DAO will be dreadfully slow, since it uses the JET engine native to VB and MS Access. That process can have communication requests 2 or 3 orders of magnitude greater than direct API calls. RDO is a thin layer over the APIs. OLE/DB (ADO) is also a very thin layer, and the CAE driver, at least, ends up using the same mechanism at the host.

So, if the means of using ODBC was inefficient, you will see great gains, just by going to OLE/DB, just because it does things better, less intervening processing.

Check out the ODBC User's Guide for Win 95/NT at the <www.iseries.ibm.com/clientaccess> site under the Library link - excellent info and comparative data on different access methods.

Vern